>   FAQs   >   If I get a tax rebate, will my partner have to pay more tax?

If I get a tax rebate, will my partner have to pay more tax?

Claiming Marriage Allowance claim will generally transfer up to 10% of the Personal Allowance from the low earner to the higher-earner.

This transfer generally has no cost to the low-earner, who doesn’t earn enough to fully use up their Personal Allowance anyway. The tax refund is paid out to the higher earner directly from HMRC.

However, it is your responsibility to ensure that HMRC is kept updated with your entitlement for the tax break. If your entitlement changes and you no longer meet the eligibility criteria for the tax break, you will need to let HMRC know.

Click here to start your claim.

If you wish to receive any guidance or advice, please contact HM Revenue & Customs by telephone on 0300 200 3300.

Site Navigation

Your claim is in safe hands

  • AML Compliant

The website does not provide tax, financial or legal advice. Nor do we recommend particular tax breaks or tax planning strategies. You should take professional tax advice in connection with, or independently research and verify, any information that you find on our website and wish to rely upon, whether for the purpose of making a decision over any elective tax break, an application for any elective tax break, or otherwise.

© 2020

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from Youtube
Consent to display content from Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from Google